28 February 2010

Some musical things I've been up to

Here in Berlin I joined a band, the Lankwitz Horns, which is associated with a local church. Oddly enough, I am the first actual "horn" to play in the group, but oh well. Here are some pictures from us playing at a Christmas market at a local church in December. I'm in the upper right hand corner :)


This is what the rest of the (very small) Christmas market looked like.


Another view!


Fun fact: they don't really know what to do with me, so usually I play transposed saxophone music. For a while I played with the trombones, but now for the first time in my life I'm essentially considered a wood wind.


I actually am playing later this evening, so we'll see if some one takes pictures of that too.

At my school they have this huge concert/ talent show type thing in the winter. The head music teacher asked me to lead a Stomp-esque percussion group that was going to play with some other musicians for a piece for the concert, and I didn't have much choice but to agree. Apparently my teacher informed him of my "musical-ness" and he didn't want to lead the group, so I was probably the only person that would have been willing and able to do it.

Here I am pretending I have some idea how to play drums.


Luckily the kids I worked with were super great and patient with a) my occasional lack of musical terminology and b) my lack of percussion experience. It ended up being a lot of fun getting to know some of the kids better and performing!


And here we are at the concert! You can see the other musicians behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment