14 February 2010

Prague!

Germans don't have a 3 month long summer break like we do in the States, so they end up having random week or week plus long breaks through out the year. Here in Brandenburg had a week off in the fall, we had two weeks off for Christmas, and then we got a week off at the beginning of February. In an effort to live it up a bit Arran and I went with Amanda to Prague during our time off of school.

Arran and I loved Prague! We didn't take too many pictures, but the city is absolutely beautiful. Lots of tiny winding cobble-stone streets, old buildings, a castle. Pretty awesome.

To begin our pictures though will be an example of globalization, rather than the beauty of eastern Europe.


We found a McDonalds and a McWalk, which I didn't even know existed! Despite how appetizing the menu looked (especially for the two vegans ;) ) we did not try it out.


Here Arran and I are in front of the river- behind me you can see the Prague Castle. This was after we sat in Kafka's favorite cafe and read some of his short stories out loud.


We got closer! We ended up walking up to the castle and wondered around. We also got a great view of Prague since it is up on a hill. This also meant that our trek up was a wee bit strenuous, but we managed just fine.

Like any good tourists to Prague we went to the Charles Bridge. While there we found a statue that Arran found especially interesting.


Here is Arran doing his best lion impression.


Here he is looking incredibly fierce :)

In the spirit of silly pictures:


We went to a Chinese restaurant while in Prague and I felt compelled to put the napkin on my head because it looked like a crown. Arran found this amusing and took a picture.

One of the days Amanda and I (Arran stayed back at the hotel because he was sick :( ) happened upon this park on the top of a little hill with a cool view.


We wondered around for a bit and I took some pictures for Arran so he would get to experience it a bit with us.


While we were up there we saw these carved tree stumps, which looked pretty cool. In the background you can see all the people who were sledding. The snow wasn't too wet or too icy, so it was perfect for adorable Czech children on sleds!


In the park was this little bar/ cafe, which felt very chalet-esque. Amanda and I read and drank tea for a few hours, which was really great. There was a nice view, I was next to a little heater so I was warm enough, and I was sipping peppermint tea. A perfect winter time activity :)

So that commences the pictures we took. But! we did lots more fun stuff. We went to a communism museum, a Czech cubism museum, the Prague city museum, which had a cool early human exhibit, and drank warm drinks in lots of small cafes. It was an awesome vacation and a much needed get-away. I certainly wouldn't have missed the part where I lost my wallet, but you win some, you lose some :)

No comments:

Post a Comment